Not quite sure about the different material used to manufacture tombstones and have no idea where to start? Tombco Gauteng can assist. With years of experience in the gravestone manufacturing business, we have gained extensive knowledge about the process of manufacturing high quality and lasting tombstones. Here’s a short summary about the different material used in the manufacturing of tombstones, and the advantages or disadvantages of each:
Type of material used to manufacture tombstones
The material used for gravestones can basically be divided into two categories, namely stone or other materials such as wood and metal. The stone headstones can be manufactured from the following, some of which were only used centuries ago:
- Sandstone: Sandstone was mostly used in the 1600’s to 1800’s, ad is a durable material, yet soft enough to carve and handle. Although some sandstone gravestones from centuries ago are still beautifully intact, others have delaminated over time.
- Slate: Slate is a beautiful stone offering a tough and hard material for tombstones, yet due to its porous properties, it can deteriorate and delaminate quickly over time.
- Limestone: Limestone, a sedimentary rock, forming in shallow marine waters. This rock takes well to carving, yet lettering may become unreadable over time due to deterioration.
- Marble: Marble was popular during the 19th century to manufactured tombstones, and is a recrystallized form of limestone. This material is both strong and beautiful, yet inscriptions are likely to fade over the years.
- Granite: Granite is considered an affordable, hardy and durable stone, and is also resistant to extreme environmental conditions. Granite is an excellent choice when it comes to selecting a material for your loved-one’s tombstone.
Granite headstones – Colours and designs
You are able to choose from different granite colours, all equally beautiful, to suit what you had in mind for your loved-one’s headstone. Our colour options include of African Red Granite, Carrera White Marble Granite, Multi-coloured Granite, Zim Black Granite and Rustenburg Grey Granite. We also have a few different tombstone ranges to choose from when it comes to the design and size of the headstone, which includes:
- Standard headstone range: Simple and popular headstone designs.
- Executive headstone range: Larger and more unique headstone designs.
- Double headstone range: Companion headstones designed for double graves.
- Child headstone range: Unique headstone range for children and babies.
- Budget headstone range: Smaller, high quality headstones for tight funeral budgets.
Contact Tombco Gauteng / Montana Granite today for more information about our range of headstones, designs and colours available.